The Software Industry Report


Through this report I am aiming to examine the software industry on an international scale. It is an in depth analysis of an industry strongly dominated and influenced by a powerful monopoly, examining the following;
a) The market structure, its history, potential competition and its trends.
b) The industry’s conduct in terms of advertising, pricing policies, branding, merger activity, with particular focus on the main player.
c) The industry’s performance in terms of innovation due to new technology and the changing environment as well as profitability and efficiency.
2.0
I have taken information from various sources, these include extracts from the Independent, Economist, Computer ...

Want to read the rest of this paper?
Join Essayworld today to view this entire essay
and over 50,000 other term papers

of the difficulty in separating consumer software purchased by individuals, into applications destined for use by businesses and the home user. I am going to primarily focus on So-ho, home user market, and takes account of the software packages bought, mainly through out the retail market for the small or home office and which may be used for business, education or simply leisure purposes.
The most common software packages sold to the So-ho user market are the following:

? Business application software - word-processors, spreadsheet, databases, desktop publishing programs, programming languages, utilities etc.

? Operating systems - MS-DOS, DRDOS, Windows 3.x, Windows 95, 98, Macintosh System 7

? Educational software - e.g. Encarta ‘98

? Entertainment software - e.g. games

The definition does not include software written for the traditional 8-bit home computer hardware including the Commadore Amiga & Atari, Sinclair, Acorn, BBC or Amstrad machines. These machines ...

Get instant access to over 50,000 essays.
Write better papers. Get better grades.


Already a member? Login

95 and 98.

Microsoft commands virtually all of the market for P.C operating systems for the home user. The companies O.S systems are installed in 85% of P.C’s with the exception of the remaining 15% which are sold with the Apple Macintosh operating system. In the retail software market, practically all of the products sold are Microsoft owned.

4.1
The top five software firms and their annual revenue are as follows (see appendix A) ?

1) Microsoft $14.484bn
2) Oracle $ 7.143bn
3) Computer Associates International $ 4.719bn
4) SAP AG $ 3.472bn
5) Compuware Corp. $ 1.139bn

Total $30.953bn

The total revenue of the software industry for 1997 ...

Succeed in your coursework without stepping into a library.
Get access to a growing library of notes, book reports,
and research papers in 2 minutes or less.


CITE THIS PAGE:

The Software Industry Report. (2008, February 7). Retrieved April 19, 2018, from http://www.essayworld.com/essays/The-Software-Industry-Report/78681
"The Software Industry Report." Essayworld.com. Essayworld.com, 7 Feb. 2008. Web. 19 Apr. 2018. <http://www.essayworld.com/essays/The-Software-Industry-Report/78681>
"The Software Industry Report." Essayworld.com. February 7, 2008. Accessed April 19, 2018. http://www.essayworld.com/essays/The-Software-Industry-Report/78681.
"The Software Industry Report." Essayworld.com. February 7, 2008. Accessed April 19, 2018. http://www.essayworld.com/essays/The-Software-Industry-Report/78681.
JOIN NOW
Join today and get instant access to this and 50,000+ other essays


PAPER DETAILS
Added: 2/7/2008 03:36:35 PM
Category: Science & Nature
Type: Premium Paper
Words: 2684
Pages: 10

Save | Report

SHARE THIS PAPER

SAVED ESSAYS
Save and find your favorite essays easier

SIMILAR ESSAYS
» Computer Software Piracy And It...
» The Travel Industry And The Int...
» COMPOSTING AND THE GROCERY INDU...
» America And The Computer Indust...
» Software Licensing And Piracy
» IBM's Dominance Of The Computer...
» Economic Consequences Of Softwa...
» History Of The Computer Industr...
» Integrated Software Application
» Software Licensing
Copyright | Cancel | Contact Us

Copyright © 2018 Essayworld. All rights reserved